MCEC PRAYERS for Sunday August 20, 2023
- Continue to pray for David Dyck, pastor at Leamington United Mennonite Church, and his family as they grieve the loss of his wife, Nancy, who died on August 4, 2023. See Nancy’s tribute here.
MCEC ANNOUNCEMENTS for Sunday August 20, 2023
- MCEC Seeks an Operations and Finance Director. Are you a strategic and collaborative leader with experience leading Finance and at least one of the other key Operations functions of general Operations, Human Resources, Risk Management, Information Technology and/or Communications? Join the MCEC staff team in Kitchener, ON. This person will be a strategic thinker, experience serving on an executive team, is able to think long-term while also able to shape the appropriate execution through the Operations team. The Operations & Finance Director plays a key role in the day-to-day operations of MCEC, ensuring that MCEC’s practices demonstrate good stewardship, meet industry best standards and adhere to charitable law requirements. This is a full-time, permanent position. More information at mcec.ca.
- Join the MCEC Video Challenge! How are you or your congregation being transformed? Where is your inspiration coming from? What do you feel called into? Make your own short video sharing what you and your congregation are excited about. Videos will be premiered at Annual Church Gathering in Leamington, ON next April. What an amazing story it will be of how God is transforming, inspiring and calling people and congregations across MCEC. More information at mcec.ca.
- MCEC Pastor’s Retreat, September 28, 2023, 9 a.m to 3:30 p.m., Ingersoll, ON. A day for pastors and chaplains to set aside for retreat, encouragement and rejuvenation. Consider gifting this day to your pastor or chaplain. Registration is open at mcec.ca.
- MCEC Urban Anabaptist Church Planters Workshop, September 30, 2023, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Ottawa, ON. Tentmaking: Opportunities and Challenges for Developing Congregations with James Watson. A day of worship and prayer for church planters and pastors focused on tentmaking or multi-vocational ministry. Registration is open at mcec.ca.
- Mennonite Church Canada announces an Emissions Reduction Grant available to all MC Canada congregations. MC Canada will provide grants to congregations wishing to upgrade their facilities with the goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions (GHG). Applications for up to 50% (to a max. of $6000) of the cost of reducing their church building’s carbon footprint are now being accepted. More info and application available at https://www.mennonitechurch.ca/mc-canada-emissions-reduction-grant. Application Deadline: September 30.
ONLINE PUBLICATIONS for Sunday August 13, 2023
- Community Peacemaker Teams August 2023 Quarterly Newsletter ; previous reports ; 2022 Annual Report
- Mennonite Disaster Service On the Level August 16, 2023
- Mennonite World Conference [MWC] Pastoral Letter of August 11, 2023
ONTARIO MENNONITE MUSIC CAMP
Camper-led chapel service and final concert events, respectively scheduled for August 20 and 25. The chapel service takes place at Luther Village on the Park, while Conrad Grebel University College is hosting our final concert. All are welcome, regardless of their level of connection to camp. See: OMMC Events Poster
INTER-MENNONITE CHILDREN’S CHOIR [IMCC]
The Inter-Mennonite Children’s choir is excited for rehearsals to start again this Fall on Tuesday September 12. We are still looking for a few more singers to join us. Our rehearsals take place on Tuesday evenings at W-K United Mennonite Church for children in grades 1 and up and provide an excellent music education experience while singing with friends. Singers ages 9 and up who are new to the choir need to have a Vocal Placement Interview. Please go to our website: www.mennosingers.com/imcc under “Join us” for more information or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and sign up before August 28.
MENNO YOUTH ENSEMBLE
With the support of Menno Singers family of choirs, it is our pleasure to introduce the Menno Youth Ensemble to Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas! Under the direction of Mykayla Turner and Joel Woods, this ensemble welcomes musicians between the ages of 14 and 24 to expand their musical and collaborative imaginations. Weekly rehearsals will culminate with regular performing opportunities and one major performance event per semester. The Menno Youth Ensemble is open to all voice-types and instruments, and all participants should be willing to sing.
Social Impact Investing: Empowering Women in Business. Free event. September 13, 2023. Click to Register
SILVER LAKE MENNONITE CAMP
- Registration now open for a wide variety of fun retreats coming up this fall. Click here for more info about the retreats below… slmc.ca/retreats
- Labour Day Weekend Retreat (Sep 1-3) – A few rooms still available for this long weekend getaway.
- Men’s Retreat (Sep 15-17) – A relaxing weekend away to connect with others and enjoy a variety of fun camp activities. Saturday features a Russian Mennonite dinner with many favourite traditional dishes. Stories and reflections presented by host Mike Schmidt.
- Bruce Trail Hike (Sep 18-21) – Join us for a series of short-loop hikes near Owen Sound and learn about the cultural and natural history of the Niagara Escarpment. Accommodations and meals at Silver Lake.
- Fall Hike Retreat (Sep 29-Oct 1) – Stay at camp and enjoy a Bruce Trail hike on the Saturday. Everyone welcome, including families.
- Fall Work Weekend (Oct 27-29) – Help get camp ready for the winter season!
- Stay Connected – Follow SLMC on Instagram @silverlakemennonite and Facebook to stay up to date and see photos from Summer 2023!
ABNER MARTIN MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP
The Abner Martin Music Scholarship ($4,000 value last year) is awarded annually by Menno Singers to a student who: 1) will be enrolled in a full-time music major or minor program at the undergraduate or graduate level in 2023-2024); 2) is affiliated with an MCEC congregation; and 3) has demonstrated involvement and proficiency in musical activities in church and community. Application deadline is September 15, 2023. For more information and/or an application form contact Lewis Brubacher, email@example.com.
SHALOM COUNSELLING SERVICES
Shalom Counselling Services’ 10,000 Steps for Mental Health will begin at Shalom Counselling Services (9 Avondale Ave. S., Waterloo) on Saturday, September 16, 2023. Registration begins at 9 am with an official send off at 9:30 am. Participants will travel a route to the Iron Horse Trail, along the trail, and back to Shalom.
Join us and start setting your goals. It could be taking 10,000 steps or 1,000 steps, fundraising $10,000 or $100. Set a goal that is right for you and help provide more affordable, accessible counselling services in Waterloo Region. Sign up on our website at: https://shalomcounselling.org/steps
After the walk their will be a community block party celebrating Shalom Counselling Services 40th Anniversary. Please come out and support local mental health resources.
CANADIAN MENNONITE UNIVERSITY [CMU]
Children’s Storybook Bible – We’re thrilled to announce The Peace Table, MennoMedia’s new storybook Bible for grades 1-5. A large team of Anabaptist authors, illustrators, and church leaders collaborated to create this rich and diverse retelling of key biblical stories that highlight the central theme of peace in the Bible. For a short video introduction, visit commonword.ca/go/3564/ or to purchase or borrow, visit commonword.ca/go/3344/.
CONRAD GREBEL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
Conrad Grebel University College, seeks a Coordinator, Centre for Peace Advancement for 0.5 FTE (17.5 hrs/wk). This is a contract position from September 11, 2023 – December 22, 2023. There is the possibility of renewal for January – April 2024. The role supports the Centre through administration, convening, assisting with funding opportunities, and community engagement projects. Read the full job description at grebel.ca/positions . Submit your application by August 18, 2023.
YOU CAN PROVIDE EMERGENCY RELIEF TODAY
MCC and local partners provide emergency assistance to affected families. Your donations and prayers help bring critical support to these global neighbours. To donate go to mcco.ca/volcano-relief