MCEC PRAYERS FOR SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2023
Please pray for MCEC as we seek someone to fill the key leadership position of Operations and Finance Director. Pray for those who view and apply to the opportunity, those involved in the interview process and for the individual who will accept the call to this position. We ask for God’s wisdom and leading.
MCEC ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2023
Help Build a Future of Peace in Mindanao – the Future of Ministry in Philippines. October 17, 2023, 2 – 4:30 p.m., MCEC 50 Kent Ave., Kitchener. Join MCEC, Joji Pantoja (MC Canada Witness Worker), Ka Boyet Ongkiko and Tala Bautista from the Philippines on their information and fundraising tour in Ontario. Dann and Joji Pantoja have served the socially and economically vulnerable people in the conflicted Mindanao region of the Philippines for many years. Discover and be a part of the exciting final stages of a transition plan from MC Canada Witness to Tala and Boyet’s capable leadership as the younger, Indigenous generation. The Malipayon Peace Hub will provide a sustainable pathway for PBCI and CFP to serve their communities into the future. Light refreshments will be served. More information at mcec.ca.
MCEC Fall Equipping Day for pastors, chaplains and congregational leaders – an equipping day on saying farewell, Saturday, November 11, 2023, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., East Zorra Mennonite Church. All are welcome for this informative day to talk about green funerals, funeral planning, advanced care planning, MAID (Medical assistance in dying) and palliative care. Bring your leadership teams. Hear stories from experts, pastors, practitioners and family. Registration is now open at mcec.ca.
MCEC Financial Update Zoom Call. November 8, 2023, 7 p.m., online. Save the Date. Hear the MCEC financial story at this time of the fiscal year. More information will follow. This event is open to pastors, treasurers, councils and all other interested persons.
Join the MCEC Video Challenge! Join the congregations who have already responded! How are you or your congregation being transformed? Where is your inspiration coming from? What do you feel called into? Make your own short video sharing what you and your congregation are excited about. Videos will be premiered at Annual Church Gathering in Leamington, ON next April. What an amazing story it will be of how God is transforming, inspiring and calling people and congregations across MCEC. More information at mcec.ca.
MCEC Seeks an Operations and Finance Director. Are you a strategic and collaborative leader with experience leading Finance and at least one of the other key Operations functions of general Operations, Human Resources, Risk Management, Information Technology and/or Communications? Join the MCEC staff team in Kitchener, ON. This person will be a strategic thinker, experience serving on an executive team, is able to think long-term while also able to shape the appropriate execution through the Operations team. The Operations & Finance Director plays a key role in the day-to-day operations of MCEC, ensuring that MCEC’s practices demonstrate good stewardship, meet industry best standards and adhere to charitable law requirements. This is a full-time, permanent position. More information at mcec.ca.
ONLINE PUBLICATIONS FOR SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2023
AMBS News current edition
CANADIAN MENNONITE UNIVERSITY [CMU] Through this place September 2023 edition
CONSCIENCE CANADA Fall 2023 Newsletter
MENNONITE DISASTER SERVICE [MDS] On the Level September 20, 2023 issue
WOOLWICH COUNSELLING CENTRE Upcoming Events and Programs
Saturday September 30 at the Laurel Creek Nature Centre. Click here for details.
PiE [Pastors in Exile] UPCOMING EVENTS FOR YOUNG ADULTS
Pastors in Exile (PiE) is excited to gear up for fall programming for young adults in Waterloo Region. For more information about events see: https://pastorsinexile.org/fall-programs-2023/
*accessibility notes: wheelchair accessible building, single user all gender washrooms available
*transportation notes: close to the Allen St. Ion stop and the Spur Line Trail. Free parking is available at the church.
COMPASS REFUGEE CENTRE – RIDE FOR REFUGE
Compass Refugee Centre invites you to join this year’s Ride for Refuge – a family-friendly ride/walk raising funds to support the work of Compass in serving people seeking hope, safety, and freedom. Join us Saturday, September 23, 2023, or sponsor a rider/walker. Visit rideforrefuge.org/location/kitchenergrandriver or contact Karen Martin Schiedel for more information.
CLIMATE EMERGENCY VIGILS
Faith Climate Justice Waterloo Region and climate justice partners Divest Waterloo, the Working Centre, and 50by30WR have planned a series of 16 vigils to be held every Friday at Waterloo Public Square from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m., beginning September 1 and continuing to December 15. These vigils are a local response to the global climate emergency: they seek to provide for people space and time to contemplate and reflect on the climate struggles facing our world. We have also attached an information letter prepared for Christians Together Waterloo Region by the Climate Emergency Vigil organizers Barbara Schumacher, Isaiah Ritzmann, Kai Reimer-Watts, Laura Hamilton, Becky Voll, and Henriëtte Thompson. You can contact the committee at email@example.com Attachments: Climate Emergency Vigils Information Letter for CTWR
MENNO YOUTH ENSEMBLE
With the support of Menno Singers family of choirs, it is our pleasure to introduce the Menno Youth Ensemble to Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas! Under the direction of Mykayla Turner and Joel Woods, this ensemble welcomes musicians between the ages of 14 and 24 to expand their musical and collaborative imaginations. Weekly rehearsals will culminate with regular performing opportunities and one major performance event per semester. The Menno Youth Ensemble is open to all voice-types and instruments, and all participants should be willing to sing.
MENNONITE MASS CHOIR
This Fall you are invited to join as a singer in the Mennonite Mass Choir in a performance of Handel’s Messiah with the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony at Centre in the Square on Sunday, December 10th (afternoon). Monday evening rehearsals begin on September 25th at First Mennonite Church (800 King St E, Kitchener) from 7:30-9:30pm. For more information and to register go to www.mennosingers.com
JUBILATION MEN’S CHOIR
Calling All Male Singers! Jubilation Men’s Choir is beginning rehearsals for their Christmas performance of sacred music in Waterloo. If you love singing, come join our enthusiastic group on Wednesdays at 7:30 pm at Waterloo Kitchener United Mennonite Church under the direction of Paul Saunders. Tenors especially welcome! Music is provided. Contact Lloyd Koch for more information. 519-589-4464 or firstname.lastname@example.org
FAIRVIEW MENNONITE HOMES IN CAMBRIDGE – GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY
You are cordially invited to join us as we break ground to expand Fairview’s Long-Term Care Home.
Where: Fairview Seniors Community, 515 Langs Drive, Cambridge
When: September 29, 2023, 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Who: The Honourable Stan Cho, Minister of Long-Term Care, will make opening remarks
Parking: Preston Mennonite Church parking lot, off Concession Rd., Cambridge
The event will be held outside of Fairview’s main entrance, rain or shine (entrance off Langs Drive). Light refreshments and entertainment will be provided in the auditorium following the event.
RSVP requested by Monday, September 26, 2023, to Alex Normandeau at email@example.com
SILVER LAKE MENNONITE CAMP
Registration is still open for a couple of fun retreats this Fall. Click here for more info about the retreats below… slmc.ca/retreats
- Fall Hike Retreat (Sep 29-Oct 1) – Stay at camp and enjoy a Bruce Trail hike on the Saturday. Everyone welcome, including families.
- Fall Work Weekend (Oct 27-29) – Help get camp ready for the winter season!
- Book Launch (Oct. 1 at 3 p.m.) – SLMC is hosting the book launch of “Childhood Unplugged” by Katherine Johnson Martinko. Join us to discuss and hear advice about how to get kids off screens and find balance with nature. Location: Community Room at 50 Kent Ave, Kitchener.
Have you ever wondered what it might look like to follow Jesus into your neighbourhood? To see your workplace, home, and regular life as a place of discipleship and mission? Join INNOVATE for a one-day workshop on September 23 to discover how to imitate Jesus in building a disciple-making culture, wherever God has placed you!
Listen to stories and teaching from experienced practitioners. Go deeper into understanding Covenant relationship and Kingdom responsibility, evaluating where you are now, and setting goals for change! Individuals and/or teams are welcome!
This workshop will be held at 50 Kent Ave. in Kitchener. Cost is $35 per person (an 85% discount). Registration information can be found at innovatebethechange.ca/training.
Hidden Acres will be hosting our annual Seniors Fall Retreat on Monday October 2nd. The theme is Songs that Shape and Reshape Us. Our resource person is Ingrid Loepp Thiessen. Doug Cressman will accompany the singing. Cost is $50 per person, registration is limited. Click here for brochure The link for registration can be found here.
ROCKWAY MENNONITE COLLEGIATE
PARADE: Rockway ON PARADE! Students of Rockway Mennonite Collegiate invite you to watch their THINK float in the KW Oktoberfest Parade on Monday, October 9. Their display will get you THINKing about single-use plastic.
SAVE THE DATE: Rockway Mennonite Collegiate invites you to SAVE THE DATE and watch rockway.ca for information about: Connections Homecoming Night, Friday, October 20, 5-9:15 pm; Discover Rockway, Thursday, November 9, 7 pm; Annual General Meeting (online), Wednesday, November 22, 7:30 pm.
- MEDA Convention 2023 information and registration
- The Waterloo Network Hub is hosting another breakfast event dedicated to celebrating the impactful work of peopleCare in our community on Thursday, October 19th, 2023. Dynamic Guest Speakers include Sheena Campbell, VP of Communications & Engagement at peopleCare, and Stella Annan, Executive Director at Golden Years Home in Cambridge. A MEDA Moment will be provided by Dean Shoemaker, Senior Development Officer, to include an update on his recent journey to the Feminist Entrepreneurs Growing Green Economies (FEGGE) project in Tanzania. Cost: $25, Student $15. Location: RiverSong Banquet Hall, 632 Hawkesville Rd, St. Jacobs. Time: 7:30 am. Register and pay online at: https://www.meda.org/events/
VOICES TOGETHER RESOURCE DAY
Saturday, October 28, 2023, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. – Voices Together Resource Day at Shantz Mennonite Church. Come explore the music and resources of the new Voices Together Hymnal with some of the members of the VT Committee and other MCEC musicians. Register at https://mcec.ca/event/22582-2023-10-28-voices-together-resource-day . The day ends with a Voices Together Hymn Sing at 7 p.m. open to the whole community. All are invited to bring your voices.
HOUSE OF FRIENDSHIP ANNUAL COMMUNITY GATHERING
This year’s Friendship Dinner, House of Friendship’s annual community gathering, puts the spotlight on youth!
IF I HAD ONE WISH…
Every parent has big dreams for their children’s future. And every parent knows that nail-biting fear of how to get there. This is especially true for families living on low income. When parents are struggling to make ends meet, wishes for a bright, happy future for their children can seem out of reach.
But with the right supports, youth can not only dream of a bright future – they can see those dreams and wishes become a reality!
Friendship Dinner is your time to celebrate the inspiring youth who are overcoming the odds, and how you can help them become our future leaders!
Saturday, October 28
5 to 9 p.m.
Bingemans Conference Centre
More info and tickets at www.houseoffriendship.org/friendshipdinner
CANADIAN MENNONITE UNIVERSITY [CMU]
Xplore – CMU’s Xplore extended ed program that investigates dimensions of the Christian faith, our world, and life in it—all without assignments or exams! Join one or more in-person or online courses beginning October 3 and 4. For more information and to register visit cmu.ca/xplore.
J.J. Thiessen Lecture – You are invited to hear Dr. Willie James Jennings of Yale Divinity School present his talk entitled, Gathering the pieces that remain: Weaving life together from the fragments of faith, race, and land. October 27 at 7:00 PM in Marpeck Commons or via livestream. Visit cmu.ca/jjt for details and livestream.
CommonWord is Here for You – Google can help you find a million titles; CommonWord can help you find the right one – to buy, borrow, or access online! Providing trusted Anabaptist resources for over 50 years – whether you are an avid reader or church leader, we are here to help. Visit commonword.ca for more information.
CONRAD GREBEL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
- Peace Week 2023. September 21-30. The Kindred Credit Union Centre for Peace Advancement is once again marking Peace Week by hosting a public community calendar of events and activities. Kicking off with the International Day of Peace on September 21st and culminating with the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation on September 30th, Peace Week is a time for reflection, learning, and community building. View the calendar at uwaterloo.ca/peace-week
- Book Launch. Eating Like A Mennonite: Food and Community Across Borders by Marlene Epp. Thursday, October 5, 7:00 PM. Celebrate the launch of Professor Emeritus Marlene Epp’s new book exploring the meaning of Mennonite foodways, around the table and around the world. Hosted at Conrad Grebel University College in Waterloo. Books available. Reception to follow. Learn more at grebel.ca/events
- Navigating to the Next Normal: Challenges and Opportunities for the Church in Canada. Thursday, October 12, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM | This one day hybrid conference invites leading thinkers, clergy, and others to creatively engage with issues facing the Church in Canada. As churches emerge from major societal disruption, how has the conversation regarding the future of the Canadian church changed? How do we attend to the key challenges of our time? What opportunities are before us? Registration information at uwaterloo.ca/grebel/events/next-normal
- 60th Anniversary Gala Dinner. Wednesday, October 11, 6:00 PM. Hosted by Eric Friesen, this Gala will celebrate Grebel’s 60 years of impact! We’ll recreate memories of Community Supper and raise money for residence facility projects. University of Waterloo President Vivek Goel will speak about “Waterloo at 100.” Tickets available at uwaterloo.ca/grebel/events/60th-gala-dinner
YOU CAN PROVIDE EMERGENCY RELIEF TODAY
MCC and local partners provide emergency assistance to affected families. Your donations and prayers help bring critical support to these global neighbours. To donate go to mcco.ca/volcano-relief